A review published last week confirmed that there is clearer evidence to support a role for folate and other B vitamins in slowing the progression of cognitive decline and possibly reducing the risk of depression in ageing. People with low B vitamin status are likely to benefit the most from increasing levels of certain B vitamins.
In this week’s article we provide a roundup of some of the most recent health and nutrition related articles to be in the news, four items comprising:
- Gene that affects cell power supply may hold key to bowel disease
- Eczema cure a step closer as scientists discover what triggers painful skin condition
- Complex link between vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 supplementation
- Parkinson’s disease and diet: Nutritional interventions reveals ‘clear therapeutic benefits’
Whilst awareness of coeliac disease and gluten-free diets in general has grown rapidly in recent years, awareness around specific symptoms and diagnosis methods relating to this lifelong autoimmune condition is still relatively low. Indeed, around 1 in 100 people have coeliac disease but only a quarter have actually been diagnosed.
The issues of mental health are very rarely out of the news and either directly, or indirectly, affect the vast majority of us at some point in our lifetime – whether that be through personal suffering or that of a close friend or family member. Indeed, it is considered that as many as 1 in 4 people suffer with a mental health illness each year.
The number of people suffering from musculoskeletal conditions has grown, globally, by 25% over the last decade – and this is only increasing as time goes by. Some of the most common conditions that fall into the musculoskeletal category include osteoporosis, back pain and osteoarthritis – with the latter making up around half the number of those suffering from a musculoskeletal condition.
In this week’s article we provide a roundup of some of the most recent health and nutrition related articles to be in the news, five items comprising:
- Screen-time linked to greater diabetes risk among children
- Vitamin D deficiency may indicate cardiovascular disease in overweight and obese children
- Doctor’s Diary: Can Omega-3 oils help fight depression?
- Mixed carotenoid supplements may help obese children
- High fibre diet ‘could prevent type 1 diabetes’