Sleep is a wonderful aspect of life that can often be either an enigma or a non-priority to some people. It is a strange evolutionary trait which renders all organisms vulnerable to attack and predation due to the inducement of a state of perceived unconscious paralysis. This highlights how essential sleep must be for life as some form of it is performed by every organism on the planet (even bacteria have a primitive form of a sleep/wake cycle), even though it puts them at increased danger.
In this blog, Clinical Neuroscientist Miguel Toribio-Mateas discusses how certain super-concentrated sources of nutrients can help you be the most resilient version of yourself, and how both your gut and your brain are involved in the emotional responses and mental wellbeing.
Magnesium1 is one of seven macro minerals that needs to be consumed in levels of over 100mg a day. It plays an important role in over 300 enzyme reactions in the body. According to the Human Genome Project more than 3500 proteins have binding sites for magnesium, so it is essential for numerous functions within the body. 50-60% of it is found in the bones, the remaining 50-40% is mainly found in muscles, soft-tissue and bodily and cellular fluids. European Union NRV levels recommend 375mg daily.
In this week’s article we provide a roundup of some of the most recent health and nutrition related articles in the news, five items comprising:
- Research review: UK needs five-fold vitamin D increase
- Vitamins C and E linked to reduced risk for Parkinson’s Disease
- Sleep deprivation decreases testosterone levels and muscle protein synthesis
- Beetroot juice benefits brain and heart through oral microbiome modulation
- A changing gut microbiome may be good for you as you age
We all get tired from time to time. Late nights, long work hours or the kids keeping you up at night – can all leave you feeling temporarily worn out. But this is not the only form of tiredness impacting the inhabitants of the modern world.
This blog is provided by guest writer, Bev Alderson from Practically Balanced, where she works with individuals, groups and workplaces wanting to take a more positive and proactive approach to enhancing wellbeing, and in turn achieving greater results.
Upper digestive tract symptoms are common, particularly in western society, manifesting as acid reflux, heartburn, gastritis and, in severe cases, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). Globally 10-20% of people experience GORD, with a higher percentage in western civilisations1. Currently medical interventions for GORD and other gastric conditions involve symptom management by synthetic pharmaceuticals including proton pump inhibitors and antacids or surgery.